Tuesday 13 January 2009

Bulgur Wheat

Robert is cooking us dinner tonight. He's already got it cooking in the crockpot/slow cooker. Last time he made this dish, he made it with rice. This time, we are trying some bulgur wheat in it instead of rice because we won a couple of packs of bulgur wheat at Slimming World before Christmas.

Having never tried bulgur wheat before, neither of us knows what to expect or whether or not we will like it. I hope we do like it or all of the other ingredients in our dinner will be wasted.

The dish Robert is making is this: chopped carrots (4 to 6), chopped onions (2 large white ones), chopped celery (a few stalks), chopped swede (one), chopped turnip (one), chopped broccoli (one bag), Quorn chicken-style pieces ("fake chicken" for those of you who don't have the Quorn brand of vegetarian dishes), and chicken stock (substitute vegetable or onion stock for vegetarians). Add all ingredients with water to the crockpot. Cook on high for two hours and then on low for a couple of hours. Add in rice or bulgur wheat when almost finished, giving time for the rice to cook properly and soak up the seasonings and liquid. Eat.

Bulgur wheat is supposed to be a really healthy food.

Ever tried bulgur wheat? What did you think of it? I'll let you know my verdict once I've tried it.

3 comments:

  1. I've tried bulgur wheat before. I used it as a rice substitute in stuffed peppers and I've made an oatmeal like porridge out of it.

    It wasn't bad in the peppers, I mean, there was meat and other stuff, so it really just added texture and fiber.

    The porridge was pretty good too actually. I like oatmeal better still, but that's probably because it's what I'm used to.

    Here's the links to the recipes, in case you need to use up any extra bulgur!

    Greek stuffed peppers:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/greek-style-stuffed-peppers-recipe/index.html

    Breakfast Bulgur Porridge:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/breakfast-bulgur-porridge?autonomy_kw=bulgur

    Talking about this has inspired me to use up the rest of the bulgur wheat that's been sitting in my fridge forever! I'm gonna try to incorporate it into my menu next week.

    Let me know how your dish turned out!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabouli is made with bulgar wheat. YUM!!!

    To Bulgar wheat add dried onion and dried onion and dried parsley. Chopped cucumber, chopped tomatoes, and chopped green onions are added. Hot water to rehydrate the bulgar, lemon juice and vegetable oil to taste. Salt to taste. Wait at least 6 hours before serving, better if until the next day.

    This is great with cabbage rolls. Allrecipes.com has a recipe for cabbage roll casserole that is a cinch to make and inexpensive. Read through to comments for suggestions that would be appropriate for your own family.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification. I turned it off and started getting tons of SPAM, so I had to turn it back on again.