Monday 4 January 2010

When Healthy Living Means Losing Weight

I had a pretty good week. I walked loads this week, from 5 to 10 miles a day. I did a little bit of exercise on the Wii Fit Plus. I ate healthy, only succumbing to a few chocolates from the chocolate tins we were given at Christmas a few times this week.

And yet, the scale says I'm up. It's just a tiny bit up, not even half a pound really, but still up. I hate when this happens, but I also know that it's just part and parcel of this journey. The goal is to be healthier, not to lose as much weight as possible.

And yet, just 8 pounds away from finally reaching a healthy BMI, and just 10 pounds away from my goal weight, I find it a struggle to remind myself of this. I still want to see that number go down on the scale.

I know some people say it's better not to have the scale in the house at all, to just avoid weighing. Unfortunately, when I've tried that, I get lazy, and my weight starts creeping back up. For me, at the moment, the number on the scale is motivating. I'm working on getting away from that though, because I think this focus is counterproductive in my attempts to lead a healthy lifestyle.

I might come down half a pound or a pound before my weigh-in tonight, but I'm trying not to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification. I turned it off and started getting tons of SPAM, so I had to turn it back on again.